ROC-301: Costumes, Props & Costume Design
Let your creativity soar! Take this introductory class to learn creative costuming, from design to fabrication. Learn to design a creative, one of a kind costume for Cosplay, Halloween, Masquerade, Renaissance Faire, Theatre, Fantasy or just to have fun and learn.
Pre-requisites: You must have completed our “Beginning Sewing 101” or have similar (basic) experience with a home sewing machine.
What Will You Learn In This Class?
In this class you will learn:
- How to Design a simple costume.
- Textile selection, thread compatibility, and supplies.
- Undergarment analysis and construction.
- Construction of different joining seams, with multiple layers and different textiles.
- Finishing techniques and seams to give a professional look.
- Machine sewing vs. hand sewing techniques.
- Best practices in care, repair, and storage of costumes.
What To Bring?
Bring materials, fabrics, vinyls, leathers, or textile samples to sew in class.
Also bring any designs or sketches that you wish to incorporate into a costume. There may not be time to complete a specific costume in the class, but the sewing instructor can help you get ideas on how to complete your costume. We may have sewing aides who are able to set up time outside of class to mentor you and help you complete your project.
The instructor will bring vintage sewing machines that have been modified to sew specific techniques that will give your costume a custom, one of a kind look.
About the Instructor
L. Lozano loves to share her passion for sewing with people. She really likes to help people develop a comfortable working relationship between themselves and the machine. She will teach you the basics on threads, fabrics, and how machines work. She has many years trouble-shooting machines and sewing projects of her own, and wants to share her passion and excitement with you.